Wednesday, December 26, 2007

55 Degree's Inside

Current temperatures at 2307 this evening here in Aberdeen is 38 degree's and falling. We had hail storms off and on today and we are expecting snow tonight and tomorrow. I am sitting in the basement putting the finishing touches on another Christmas quilt & decided to check my dryer. Brrrrrr~it is 55 degree's in there. It has bare concrete walls & no insulation, so it is pretty raw.

I wonder how the people around Aberdeen who are homeless will survive this night and this winter with no place to go? How do they stay warm? Where do they stay? In door ways of store fronts? In cardboard boxes on the icy banks of the Chehalis river? Under a bridge? In an abandoned warehouse?

I know that many people don't care where the homeless go, but I believe these people are humans, they are people that God created and everyone deserves to be warm on a night like this.
I want to reach out to these people as well with quilts and I know with your help, I can do it. But I need a place to work, I need another sewing machine, I need batting (preferably wool blankets or the cheap but warm blankets WalMart sells. I need to have the ability to start a quilt in the morning and be completing it by evening and ready to be handed out the next day.
Won't you help? Besides the many police dispatchers that need you, there are people that are homeless and need a help up and not a hand out.

Here are a few pictures of a quilt I made today for a Christmas gift for my boss. Our holiday party as it is being dubbed is tomorrow. So, I started out today and finished it today.



It is small, 24" x 32", it is a dark green fabric with red birds on it interchanged with off white cotton squares with hand appliqued pictures of snowmen, angels and other Christmas things with a top center that says 'A King Is Born.'
The back is a red and green Christmas plaid and the border is dark green quilt tape sewn with a modified blanket stitch. The center is a dense poly batting that is stiff so it can be used as a throw or a wall quilt.
Well, it is getting colder down here, so I probably need to go stoke up the fire again or it will really be cold in the morning when we are all getting ready for work.



No comments: