Friday, September 05, 2008

Quilts for Comfort

How many of us that quilt give most of the work we do away? I know I do. It just seems that as I make one quilt God leads me to the person who needs it most. That means even if I had planned to post it up for sale, my Lord has a better place for it.

Take the 911 center, who recently received one of my quilts that I had ever intention of selling to earn my family some income while I am unemployed, here is an excerpt that was sent to 911 Cares:
'special thanks to the retired quilting dispatcher from Aberdeen Washington, the warmth of Kaseys memory will be with us all each time we look at the lovely quilt. ' (9/5/08 911 Cares).

A few years ago during the tragic killings at Virginia Tech, I made 9 lap sized quilts within a week. I had a friend donate to me during this time her brand new sewing machine, a Vietnam Vet sent me a check for $25 (incidentally, he is also a quilter) for supplies, an Air Force wife gave me fabric and thread that had belonged to her mother, a dear friend sent me a check for $25.

I used this money and more for the quilts. I do not have UPS or FedEx donate postage to me though I have tried throughout the years to get them to give me some type of a discount, without a 501C non-profit status, they won't help. The cost to send those quilts via USPS was if I remember correctly just under $40.

I wanted all of you to be aware that there is a huge need to reach out to the 911 dispatchers in need. Sometimes they need WalMart gift cards, money, cards & even just our prayers. It isn't an easy job, while many people are sleeping safely in bed, they are awake all night answering the calls for service. While you enjoy week-ends and holidays with your families, they are at work eating with co-workers.

This September 11th many of us will remember the tragedy of New York, but few will remember the dispatchers that took those calls. What about your local 911 center? Do you know if it is a county wide agency or a stand alone agency? Do you know your non-emergency call for help? Look them up in the phone book or call the non-emergency number and ask for an address to send a card of thanks, take a pizza, cookies, etc. to let them know while they have a stressful job, you are thankful they do it best!

The next time I ask for donations, I hope I can get some of you, my readers to respond because there is no better time to reach out than when someone is hurting and in need!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be happy 2 donate 2 u!
Redtosew

Anonymous said...

Dear Redtosew:
Please send donation to:
Jean Kester
906 N. Rice Street
Aberdeen, WA 98520