Thursday, September 11, 2008

Please Remember Your Local 9-1-1 Heroes Today

Today is September 11th, a tragic day in history. I can remember that day like it was yesterday. I was a police dispatcher at the time working in Goodyear, Arizona on the night shift. I left work at 0600 and drove my normal drive home (less than 10 minutes). Just as I was coming down the road to my home, I heard the news on the car radio.

I pulled into the drive way and my husband who is an awesome man, met me at the truck as usual and opened by door. Did you hear New York had a horrible plane crash. Yes, I just saw it on the news, two planes. What? No, you just saw the crash being replayed. It just didn't set it there were really 2.

My first thoughts went to my dad and step-mom living in New York because they live right outside the city and she works in NYC. Of course like a dummy, I tried to call their home but all circuits were busy.

It was AWFUL. I watched for a long time just not believing this could happen in the United States & then wanting to somehow reach out and help and know I couldn't. I went to bed and woke up and it was as if nothing had changed.

I was blessed to have that night off because I called NY until I reached my dad around midnight & NO, he was not happy to be wakened, but he said everyone was fine. It was then I realized my step-brother and his wife worked in DC.

My heart still goes out to all those who lost someone that day! I just can't imagine the pain!

While it will be replayed on television today, lets not forget those that answer the telephones when crisis hits, your local 911 centers. Please, make some contact with them today and say thank you!

No comments: