Monday, November 17, 2008

Working on Stuarts Quilt

I have the blocks all sewn together for the quilt I am making Stuart so he can have something to take to his treatments. I am using green fleece for the back as he has Autism and loves soft things and I am using a flame print for the front because it was the only thing I could find for a young man with orange in it and he loves orange and green!

I am looking for a sponsor for this quilt, so if there are any dispatch centers out there who would like to sponsor this quilt by paying for the shipping, I would truly appreciate it. The cost to send a quilt priority mail with confirmation will cost about $12.00.

Any monies left over will be put into my change jar which when full is used to buy the things necessary to keep this business going.

It just amazes me that for 13 years as a police dispatcher, I saw so many of us so complacent when it comes to helping others. Why is that? Is it a trust issue? Is it the mindset of 'so many people will donate, why should I? I would say it is the economy, but this has been going on way before the economy tanked.

I am grateful to those that have donated in the past (911 Cares, Novi, Michigan police dispatchers, military family and retired military members, some of my family and friends). But not once, have I have taken in a donation from my old department (and they know I make quilts for people in need), or from other dispatch centers I have helped.

I can do this on my own and was confirmed yesterday in church that I should continue this work because it is bringing people to the Lord and it is showing people that are in pain someone cares.
I will not stop making quilts for those people (dispatchers) that are hurting and their families when they have a need.

At this time, I have 5 quilts to make and it may take time, but each and everyone that I promised to make a quilt for will get one.

I have asked in the past for people to start a change collection in their department for one to two months and place a change jar in their center and gather coins. At the end of the time frame you have designated, send me a check or money order for the amount.

It costs me $15.00 for a great bamboo or soy batting, $3 for a good spool of thread, $2 for sewing needles, $3-$10 per yard for fabric.

Sponsor a quilt for holidays and know that when it is made, I will include your name and agency on the card that goes with it.

Dispatchers need to become a team and reach out to help others!


No comments: